Category Archives: Responding to comments

NJ courts allow a brief hiatus during college

Comment: My 20 yr old son was attending the University of Central Florida part time, and has now moved back to New Jersey, resides by himself and seeking employment. He is not sure about what he wants to do for the future and this hiatus could be months. I have filed for emancipation. Do you think New Jersey will emancipate him?

Response:  First, I hate to beat a dead horse, but without an attorney, your chances of success are always less.  Of course, an attorney doesn’t mean you are assured anything as one side has to lose a contested case.   Second, courts allow a brief hiatus during college.  Thus, a lot will depend on the facts of the case and how it is argued.  I’ve been down this road before and sometimes you win right away and sometimes it is a longer fight as the promise to go back to college can often be a lie.

If your child stopped attending college and you are still paying child support, call our team of tough, smart lawyers to discuss the NJ child support laws on emancipation.  We’ll tell you when and how you can get your child emancipated.