Enforcement of Child Support Payments

Child Support Enforcement

If you have an order for child support payments and the supporting parent is not making those payments or has ceased making timely and complete payments, a variety of enforcement methods can be utilized to ensure support will be paid. On the other hand if you are a supporting parent that is using child support payments as leverage against the custodial parent, you are going about things in the wrong way and support payments will become legally enforced through whatever means are at the disposal of the legal system.

In New Jersey each county has a Child Support Agency that will institute various child support collection processes once late, insufficient or non-payment of child support has been documented. The process of collecting child support payments or enforcement of a support order also applies to past due support as well as health care costs and other payment obligations designated in a support order.

Legally eliminating child support or reducing the monthly support obligation can only be done through a motion to the court or at age 19. A successful motion requires an extraordinary burden of proof to support the motion. The loss of incoming earning capabilities due to a long term health disability or a reduction in income due to the loss of a unique employment situation are examples of legitimate arguments in a child support appeal.

Court Ordered Child Support Enforcement

Child support payments in New Jersey are computerized with tracking and accounting across a broad range of public services and government functions. Non payment of court ordered child support can result in a denial of services and extensive collection processes, some of which are outlined below.

Employer Income Withholding for Child Support

Legal enforcement of child support usually starts with the garnishment of a paycheck. If the non-custodial parent has regular employment, notice is sent to the employer specifying the amount to be withheld as payment to the custodial parent.

Forfeiture of Tax Refunds for Child Support Arrears

If the amount of unpaid child support arrears is more than $150. in cases involving public assistance, tax refunds may be confiscated as a form of payment. In cases not involving public assistance the amount of arrears must exceed $500. to initiate federal or state tax refund forfeiture.

Financial Asset Seizure for Non-Payment of Child Support

All financial assets are at risk for supporting parents not making court ordered child support payments on time and in the correct amounts. Stock, bonds and bank accounts may be confiscated by court order if payment arrears reach significant amounts.

Suspension of New Jersey Driver’s License for Failure to Pay Child Support

If court ordered child support payments have not been made for more than six months the licensing agency may suspend any licenses through court order. This includes any professional, occupational or recreational licenses that a supporting parent may hold or be applying for. Once a payment plan has been established and regular payment have been made, then this type of suspension may be lifted.

Denial of a Passport Application for Non-Payment of Child Support

An application for a passport may be denied if child support arrears of $2,500 or greater are owed by the applicant. New Jersey Child Support Services refers cases to the Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement for enforcement of the passport application denial.

Warrant Issued for Non Payment of Child Support

A warrant may be issued in a child support case if the non-custodial parent fails to appear for a court date or does not comply with court ordered child support payments. An arrest as the result of failure to appear may lead to jail time.


The Law Offices of Jef Henninger are available 24/7 to assist with child support appeals. We offer all new clients a free initial consultation with an experienced Child Support Attorney, call 855-953-3529.




About Jef Henninger, Esq.

A smart, tough New Jersey family lawyer who works hard to get your family back on track.

Posted on August 30, 2017, in Non-Custodial Parent and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: